What do students make of feedback? (workshop) The Second International Conference on ELT in the Islamic World. Iran Language Institute, Tehran, Iran.
Performing identity in applied linguistics. A corpus approach. Seminar Series. Lingnan University, Hong Kong. 5 Nov, 2012.
Genre: research into practice in language education (workshop) International Communication Studies and Applied Linguistics Conference. University of Botswana, Gaborone, Botswana. 8-13 July 2012 2012
What have we learnt so far? Reflections on curriculum reform. Research into Practice: 3rd Conference on Language Education in HK. Hong Kong University. 1 June, 2012.
Genre analysis and writing instruction: some connections. LCC Roundtable on Academic Writing. Nanyang Technological University, 1-3rd Dec, 2011.
Messages in feedback Workshop. Pan Asian Conference, English Teachers Assn, Taipei, Taiwan. 13-15th November.
Disciplinary specificity in EAP writing. AILA Conference, Beijing, China. 23-28 August, 2011.
Talking to readers: interactions in professional and popular science writing. University of Malaya, Kula Lumpur, Malaysia. 9th May, 2011.
Formative feedback: instruction through commentary. University of Malaya, Kula Lumpur, Malaysia. 13th May, 2011.
Productive feedback practices. ESP International Conference. Shih Chien University, Taipei, Taiwan. April 23-24, 2011.
Community and creativity: a corpus approach to identity in academic writing. Pearling Appliable Linguistics seminar, City University of Hong Kong, 26 November, 2010.
Genre analysis: theory, analysis and pedagogy. University of Modena, Italy, 9 June, 2010.
“Dinosaur teens were keen on sex”: proximity in professional and popular science. CAES Seminar Series. Hong Kong University. 14 April, 2010.
Identity construction in applied linguistics. Hong Kong Association of Applied Linguistics Seminar Series. Polytechnic University, Hong Kong. 20 January, 2010.
Getting published in Applied Linguistics. University of Malaya, 18-22 May, 2009.
Academic writing – language variation and interactive practices. Annual Conference of Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). Denver, CO, USA. 24-28 March, 2009.
Negotiating with readers: popular and professional proximity. Universidad Politécnica de Madrid. 16 December, 2008.
- Teaching and researching genre: academic writing in the disciplines. Universidad Politécnica de Madrid. 16 December, 2008.
- Disciplinarity and identity in applied linguistics. Universidad Politécnica de Madrid. 15 December, 2008.
- Being Swales and Cameron: constructing identity in applied linguistics. University of Leeds Seminar Series. 21 October, 2008.
- We are what we write: the role of writing in the academy. ESADE University seminar series, Barcelona, 14 October, 2008.
- Genre analysis and student writers. University of Malaya Seminar. 8 May, 2008.
- What is writing and how can we research it? University of Malaya Seminar.6 May, 2008.
- Discourses and the disciplines. Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain 30 April, 2008.
- Writing in the academy – role, purpose and value. Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain. 29 April, 2008.
- Different strokes for different folks: specificity in EAP. American Assn for Applied Linguistics Annual Conference. Washington, DC, USA. 29 March-1 April, 2008.
- Effective responses: the theory and practice of feedback on writing. Second International Symposium for English Language Teachers, Centre for English Language Communication (CELC), National University of Singapore. 30 May-1 June, 2007.
- Understanding writing: texts, writers and readers. Roehampton University. 2 November, 2005.
- Interaction in academic discourse. LANSPAN Colloquium. University of Groningen, The Netherlands. 24 May, 2005.
- What is interactive about academic discourse? University of Leeds Research Seminar Series. 25 November, 2004.
- Investigating academic literacies. Academic Literacies research Group, Institute of Education, University of London. 16 March, 2004.
- Stance and Engagement: towards a model of academic literacy. Cross-London Seminar in Language and Literacy, King’s College, London University. 2 March, 2004.
- Interaction in academic discourse. Reading University Applied Linguistics Circle. 26 February, 2004.
- Framing feedback in EAP writing. 9th International TESOL Arabia Conference, Dubai, UAE 12-14 March, 2003.
- Discourse analysis in second language writing research. American Association for Applied Linguistics Annual Conference. Salt Lake City, USA. 5-8 April, 2002.
- Writing portfolios in ESP. LSP 2000 Conference. Johor Bahru, Malaysia 12-15 November, 2000.