Current Courses and Supervision:
Ken’s primary research interests lie in written discourse analysis, particularly in academic context. These interests are closely connected with his work in developing the academic literacy of graduate students and in teacher education. He is currently Professor of Applied Linguistics in Education in the School of Education and Lifelong Learning at the University of East Anglia. He is currently co-editor of Journal of English for Academic Purposes, an Honorary Professor and Chair of applied linguistics at the University of Hong Kong, Honorary Professor at the University of Warwick and a Foundation Fellow of the Hong Kong Academy of the Humanities. His most recent research interests are on academic identity and academic publishing. He published a book on the first with CUP in 2012 and one on the second with OUP in 2015.
MA in Applied Lingusitics:
- Ngai Bo Wan Jonathan: Applied English Studies.
- Law Yuen Yi: Applied English Studies.
- Chan Wing Shan: Applied English Studies.
- Lim Yuk Wan Grace: An Investigation into the Metadiscourse of Biology Academic Writing of Chinese.
- Tse Po Ting: Applied English Linguistics.
- Huang Kaisheng: Corpus-based Second Language Acquisition.
Previous Teaching and Supervision:
I have taught undergraduate courses in Communication theory, Intercultural communication, sociolinguistics, pragmatics and discourse analysis.
My postgraduate teaching has included courses in materials design, classroom methods, Computer Assisted Language Learning, curriculum design, EAP, Discourse analysis, and research writing.
Supervised over 55 MA dissertations
PhD and MPhil completions:
- Audrey Habke: Statements of limitations in academic theses. PhD Institute of Education 2009
- Alessandra Molino: Argument in Italian and English academic research articles. PhD Institute of Education 2008
- Maki Ojima: Development and identity in four Japanese postgraduate students’ writing. PhD Institute of Education 2007
- Wendy Lee: Teacher written feedback in undergraduate writing. MPhil, City University of Hong Kong 2002
Professor of Applied Linguistics (Personal Chair) 2009-2017
Director of Centre for Applied English Studies
The University of Hong Kong
Professor of Applied Linguistics in Education (Personal Chair) 2004-2009
Reader in Education
Head of the Centre for Academic and Professional Literacies 2003-2004
Institute of Education, University of London
Associate Professor 1996-2003
Department of English & Communication
City University of Hong Kong
University Lecturer 1994-1996
Lingnan University, Hong Kong
Senior Lecturer and Head of Department 1991-1994
English as an International Language Dept.
International Pacific College, New Zealand
Lecturer in Language & Communication Dept. 1988-1990
PNG University of Technology, Lae, Papua New Guinea
Deputy Chairman of Science Reading Dept. 1984-1988
King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah
Teacher in a Malaysian Secondary School 1980-1984
The Centre for British Teachers, London.
EFL teacher to Middle & Secondary students 1978-1980
Riyadh Schools, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
EFL/Literature teacher at higher secondary school 1977-1978
White Nile Secondary School, Ed Dueim, Sudan