English Language Resources are curated by CAES in THE ADVISORY ZONE (Zone R), 2/F, Chi Wah Learning Commons:
English Advisory Services in the Advisory Zone (Zone R)
- CAES has expert advisers to help you improve your English: we can help you make a study plan, give you advice about appropriate resources to develop specific English skills, diagnose problems with pronunciation and grammar, and give you feedback on writing samples. Advisers are available for 20 or 30-minute one-on-one sessions in Interview Room 6 (2.70), Zone R to help you improve your English language skills.* Check in booking page which service you need.
- Group discussions and workshops are held daily in the Zone R Activities Room (2.77).
- English Teaching Assistants are available for all general English needs and study skills help for 25-minute one-on-one sessions Room 9 (2.62) or speaking recorded practice in Zone R Production Studio Room (2.75).
- Writing support sessions are run by CAES postgraduate students daily for 25 minutes in Room 5 (2.69), Zone R. Bring along a draft or outline to get help and feedback in a one-to-one session.
- CEDARS/CAES student peer tutors will chat to you in 25-minute sessions held every day in Room 1 (2.65), Zone R. They are there to help build your confidence and improve your fluency in speaking English.
- NEW SERVICE: CEDARS/CAES student peer tutors – small group informal 45-minute chat sessions at ‘DREAM CHASERS’ mural in the Advisory Zone Discussion Area, Zone R. Book with friends or come and make new friends for fluency and confidence practice.
- NEW SERVICE: Online Google Hangouts Advising for ALL STUDENTS
Click here to book a session with any of the above services.
The Advisory Zone also has thousands of resources to help you improve your English.
- Books, CDs and DVDs on academic English skills, business English, pronunciation, grammar and tests e.g IELTS, LPATE, TOEFL, GRE
- DVDs of films and TV series, most with English subtitles to help you with learning new words and correct pronunciation.
- You can borrow DVDs and CDs to watch anywhere in the Learning Commons from the counter assistant from 10am to 4pm.
- Bring your own headphones and use VLC media player to watch these DVDs.
PLEASE NOTE: CAES seeks to ensure that its language support services run smoothly. However, due to unforeseen circumstances (e.g. illness or professional commitments) it may be necessary to cancel a session. Unfortunately we are unable to provide make-up sessions when this occurs. We apologise for this and thank you for your understanding.